Open Government Advisory Group
Total Public Members: 3
Method of Appointment: Mayoral Appointment
Length of Appointment: 3 years
Residency: Must be a district resident.
Paid Board: Non-paid
Description: The Advisory Group shall:
- Provide a forum for agencies and the public to share best practices on innovative ideas to promote transparency, participation, and collaboration. This shall include systems, process solutions, and new technologies designed to further the goals of the Policy;
- Provide a public forum for receiving input on the goals of the Policy, including input from the general public, information technology entities, nonprofit organizations, and individuals that use government data, such as academic researchers and representatives of media organizations;
- Provide a forum for sharing best practices and innovative ideas for engaging the public in agency decision-making;
- Identify and recommend additional categories and types of government information that should be proactively published online;
- Recommend to the Mayor, the Director of Technology Innovation, and Chief Data Officer policies to: a. Establish criteria for agency identification of additional datasets to be published online and criteria for prioritizing their publication; b. Designate categories of protected data in addition to those identified in the Policy; c. Ensure that new and existing datasets are regularly updated and archived; and d. Establish the types of open formats to be used for published data;
- Provide recommendations on technology and methods that District boards and commissions can use to work more openly, including best practices to webcast and archive their meetings;
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the Mayor or the City Administrator.
The Advisory Group shall consist of the following seventeen (17) voting members, who shall be appointed by the Mayor: 1.The Chief Data Officer of the Office of the Chief Technology Officer, or his or her designee; 2. The Director of Technology Innovation of the Office of the Chief Technology Officer, or his or her designee; 3. The City Administrator, or his or her designee; 4.Three (3) Deputy Mayors, or their designees; 5.The Chairman of the Council of the District of Columbia, or his or her designee; 6. The Director of the Office of Open Government within the Board of Ethics and Government Accountability, or his or her designee; 7. The Chief Financial Officer of the District of Columbia, or his or her designee; 8.The Mayor’s General Counsel, or his or her designee; 9. The Chief Librarian of the District of Columbia Public Library, or his or her designee; and 10. Seven (8) public members who have an interest in government transparency, open data, and enhancing the public’s access to government information
If you are interested in an appointment to this board, please complete the appointment application. A member of our team will contact you to discuss the opportunity if your application fits the position description.