Higher Education Licensure Commission
Total Public Members: 5
Method of Appointment: Appointed by Mayor
Length of Appointment: 3 years
Residency: DC residents from all 8 wards
Paid board: Stipend
The Commission shall license postsecondary educational institutions and their agents, ensure authenticity and legitimacy of the educational institutions, serve as the state approving agency for veterans educational benefits, provide standards and criteria, and administer rules and regulations, including rules of procedure for the Commission to ensure adequate public notice of each meeting of the Commission.
The Commission shall:
Advise the Mayor and the Council with respect to the postsecondary educational needs of the District of Columbia;
- Advise the Mayor and the Council with respect to the postsecondary educational needs of the District of Columbia
- File with the Mayor and the Council quarterly reports
- Receive, and cause to be maintained, copies of student academic records in conformity with the following provisions set by the establishment of the Commission
Each member of the Board shall be a resident of the District. Any member of the Commission who is or has been, within 12 months of appointment, an officer, employee, student, trustee, or member of the governing board of an educational institution operating in the District of Columbia that is subject to licensure by the Commission or has a financial interest in an educational institution subject to licensure shall not participate in any matter before the Commission concerning the institution.
Ideal Candidates will:
- Have current knowledge and recent experience with postsecondary and/or career & technical education administration, operations, and policies;
- Recognize distance and online learning as an emerging and authentic mode of delivery; and
- Possess an understanding and sensitivity to District of Columbia and national policies related to racial/ethnic, linguistic, and gender diversity, socio- economic equity and inclusive program and other accommodations.
Students or recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
If you are interested in an appointment to this board, please complete the appointment application. Should you be selected for an interview, a member of our team will contact you to discuss the opportunity.