The Committee shall advise the Mayor and the Director, Mayor’s Office of Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing, on methods to inform and incentivize members of the District of Columbia Deaf, DeafBlind, Deaf Disabled, Hard of Hearing, and Late Deafened (D/DB/DD/HH/LD) residents to participate in the programs and initiatives promoted by the Mayor and Director, Mayor’s Office of Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing.
The Committee shall be comprised of eleven (11) public members appointed by the Mayor, all of which shall be District residents.
- One (1) member representing each of the eight (8) wards, and three (3) at-large members.
Public members shall be representative of the diversity of people and ideas within the District’s deaf, deafblind and hard of hearing to include latent deaf and deaf disabled residents. Public members shall include at least one (1) member with the following personal or professional expertise:
- One deaf disabled member shall represent individuals who have an additional psychosocial, intellectual, or physical disability other than being deaf.
- One (1) DeafBlind member shall represent individuals who are Deaf and Blind.
Given that the D/DB/DD/HH/LD community represents a range of deafness and identity, the Commission shall also include:
- One (1) Deaf member;
- One (1) Hard of Hearing member;
- One (1) Late Deafened member; and
- One (1) Deaf Interpreter member.
In your cover letter, please explain which of the membership categories above you identify as.
Join the team! We're looking for the inaugural appointees of the committee!