Method of Appointment: Appointed by Mayor, confirmed by Council
Length of Appointment: 3 years
Residency: Strong preference for DC residents from all 8 wards
Paid board: No (all roles are voluntary)
The Board of Industrial Trades regulates the practice of plumbers, gasfitters, electricians, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics, steam and other operating engineers, asbestos workers, elevator mechanics, elevator inspectors, except for those employed by the District of Columbia or by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, and elevator contractors. The Board establishes bonding and insurance requirements, subcategories of licensure, education, and experience requirements for licensure, and other requirements.
The Board shall consist of 15 members:
(3) plumbers licensed in the District;
(2) electricians licensed in the District;
(2) refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics licensed in the District;
(2) steam and other operating engineers licensed in the District;
(2) asbestos workers;
(1) elevator mechanic licensed in the District;
(1) elevator inspector licensed in the District;
(1) elevator contractor licensed in the District; and
(1) consumer member.
Public members should bring professional experience and expertise to the Board.
The Board meets on the third Tuesday each month at 1:00 p.m.; subcommittees meet as required to complete tasks.
If you are interested in an appointment to this board, please complete the appointment application. A member of our team will contact you to discuss the opportunity.