Commission on Out of School Time Grants and Youth Outcomes
Total public members:14
Method of Appointment: Appointed by Mayor, Confirmed by Council
Paid board: No (all roles voluntary)
Residency: Must be a resident of the District of Columbia
The purpose of the Out of School Time Grants and Youth Outcomes to develop a District-wide strategy for equitable access to out-of-school-time programs and to facilitate interagency planning and coordination for out-of-school-time programs and funding.The duties of the Commission shall be as follows:
(1) Set the goals and scope of an annual, community-wide needs assessment, which the Office shall conduct, to identify and prioritize needs for out-of-school-time programs and establish targets for out-of-school-time funding.
(2) Draft and approve a strategic plan for out-of-school-time programs and funding ("strategic plan") in the District that encourages interagency and community coordination and promotes equitable access for youth and families to high-quality youth development programs. (B) The strategic plan shall draw on the data gathered and analyzed by the Office, including the annual community-wide needs assessment, to identify and resolve gaps in the distribution of out-of-school-time programs and funding, with a particular emphasis on at risk students, geographic distribution of out-of-school-time programs and funding, and program quality.
(3) Review, on a regular basis, the efforts of the Office to fulfill the goals and priorities of the strategic plan.
(4) Review, on a regular basis, the efforts of other relevant District agencies to cooperate in achieving the strategic plan, including review of the allocation of out-of-school-time funding in school budgets, to the extent such data is available, and how such allocation aligns with the need.
(5) Identify areas for improved collaboration, problem-solving, and cooperation among District agencies regarding out-of-school-time programs and funding.
(6) Inform and approve plans for assessing the quality of out-of-school-time programs developed by the Office
The Commission shall consist of 21 members who represent key community stakeholder constituencies or are District agency administrative heads or their designees, including:
(l) The Director of the Office of Out of School Time Grants and Youth Outcomes
(2) The Deputy Mayor for Education;
(3) The State Superintendent of Education
(4) The Chancellor of the District of Columbia Public Schools
(5) The Executive Director of the Public Charter School Board
(6) The Director of the Department of Parks and Recreation
(7) The Chairperson of the Council committee with jurisdiction over matters related to public education
(8) At least 8 nongovernmental members. The Commission shall elect a chairperson and vice-chairperson from its membership. Non-govemmental members shall comprise a majority of the Commission. Nongovernmental members of the Commission shall be representative of the District's various geographic neighborhoods and stakeholder constituencies, including consumers and providers of youth development programs, organizations that advocate for the needs of youth, and District higher education, philanthropic, workforce development, and cultural institutions; provided, that, at the time of appointment: (1) At least one member is a consumer of youth development programs in the District; and (2) At least 2 members are representatives of organizations providing youth development programs in the District.