Alcoholic Beverage and Cannabis Adminstration Board (ABC Board)
Total public member: 7
Method of Appointment: Appointed by Mayor, confirmed by Council
Length of Appointment: 4 years
Residency: DC residents from all 8 wards
Paid board: Stipend
There is established an Alcoholic Beverage and Cannabis Board. The Board shall be composed of 7 members. The Mayor, with the advice and consent of the Council and according to the requirements set forth in § 25-206, shall nominate persons to serve on the Board. A nomination shall be submitted to the Council for a 90-day period of review, excluding days of Council recess. If the Council does not approve or disapprove the nomination by resolution within this 90-day review period, the nomination shall be deemed disapproved.
The Board shall administer and enforce the provisions of this title and regulations issued under this title.
(c) The Board shall:
(1) Oversee ABCA;
(2) Receive and evaluate applications for licenses, transfers of licenses to new owners, and renewals of licenses;
(3) Issue, transfer, and renew licenses to qualified applicants;
(4) Regularly conduct inspections of the premises and the books and records of all licensees during day and evening hours and, on a reasonable number of occasions, without prior notification to the licensee or the licensee’s employees, for compliance with the requirements of this title and regulations issued under this title;
(5) Establish procedures to receive and respond timely to complaints from any person alleging a violation of any provision of this title or regulations issued under this title;
(6) Conduct investigations, on its own initiative or on the basis of valid complaints, to identify violations of this title or regulations issued under this title;
(7) Suspend or revoke licenses and impose civil fines as authorized by this title and regulations issued under this title; and
(8) Refer evidence of criminal misconduct to the Inspector General of the District of Columbia, the Attorney General for the District of Columbia, or the United States Attorney for the District, for investigation and prosecution.
Each member of the Board shall be a resident of the District for at least 3 years immediately preceding his appointment, and during that period, have claimed a principal residence nowhere else. No member of the Board shall hold any other full-time employment with the District government during his or her term of service on the Board. Each member of the Board shall have a demonstrated record of substantial involvement in issues related to the community impact of licensed establishments before his or her appointment to the Board. The chairperson shall have a demonstrated knowledge of the laws and regulations relating to the sale and delivery of alcoholic beverages in the District.
If you are interested in an appointment to this board, please complete the appointment application. A member of our team will contact you to discuss the opportunity.